[78-L] crying, weeping, sobbing

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sat May 29 10:39:51 PDT 2010

From: "Banjo Bud" <banjobud at cfl.rr.com>
> Our recently deceased Art Linkletter recorded a message to his
> estranged daughter sometime in the late sixties or early seventies.
> I can't recall the title, but on it, he sobs uncontrollably.  Bud

I don't remember the sobbing, but the record might be "We Love You, Call
Collect."

From: Cary Ginell <soundthink at live.com>
> Stan Freberg does the "vocal sobbing" on Cliffie Stone's "Wabash Blues"
> (Capitol Americana 40083). Freberg's first appearance on record. Cary Ginell

I'll have to check that one out.  He can also be heard giving out a few
sobs on his parody of Johnnie Ray's "Cry!" called "Try!"

Bob Atcher's over the wall version of "I'm Thinking Tonight Of My Blue
Eyes" was also issued on the flip of the  OKeh 45 of the "OKeh Laughing
Record" as the "OKeh Crying Record".

I recently picked up several 78 versions of Gloomy Sunday and
photographed the DownBeat article about it.  Haven't had a chance to
check them out yet for sobs.

Mike (What brought THIS up, Rainer?) Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com