[78-L] MGM Musical Shorts - $27.96 POSTPAID

Sammy Jones sjones69 at bellsouth.net
Wed May 26 11:17:19 PDT 2010

I, too, ordered Hollywood Revue of '29 a few months ago.  Great to see so many interesting acts and Jack Benny as emcee.  The Technicolor Singing in the Rain sequence at the end is a hoot.  Notice how some of the closeup inserts are either out of sync, or the stars weren't exactly sure of the words they should be sining!

Unfortunately I've had a couple of defective discs from Warner On Demand, Hollywood Revue being one of them.  I tried to watch Chasing Rainbows (1930, with Jack Benny and Marie Dressler) the other night but it froze after 35 minutes of play.  WB has been very good about sending replacements.

I love musicals from the pre-lip sync era.  Anybody know if these two early MGM musicals were sound-on-film or sound-on-disc?

Sammy Jones