[78-L] Whither NOLA

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Tue May 25 20:45:23 PDT 2010

My favorite little hideaway was Mena's Palace at Chartres and Iberville. It's only open for breakfast and lunch and has an unfancy Creole menu. I had some terrific crab cakes for lunch that only cost $8.00 - came with vegetables and corn bread. And yes, Mike, food IS special when you go to New Orleans. What, are you going to go have a BMT at Subway? Half the fun at ARSC is exploring the restaurants. I make it a point when I go away to stay away from chains and eat where the locals eat. If I'm in Philly, I'll have a cheese steak. In St. Louis, I'll have Missouri barbecue, and in New Orleans, I'm eating seafood. I had the best catfish I've ever had at the Praline Connection on Frenchmen Street. The waiters AND waitresses wore tuxedo shirts, bow ties, dark slacks, and black top hats. Even the hotel had a great spread (and after the rich meal we all had at the banquet Saturday night, so do I...). I had pecan-encrusted fish which was excellent. Beats a turkey sandwich any old day.

The problem with L.A. is that you can get great food of ANY type there, so you'd better start planning what you want now.

Cary Ginell