[78-L] Jimmie Rodgers Museum

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sat May 22 19:21:54 PDT 2010

From: "David Lennick" <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
> " Since our issues
> of US recordings were usually pressed using imported (from USA)
> stampers, I assume these were visual duplicates of their US
> counterparts?!"
>
> Actually Canadian Victors were dubbed, beginning sometime before the
> ban..probably because of wartime restrictions on shipping heavy objects
> such as stampers. The dubs were often pathetically bad, full of wow,
> clipped starts, dropouts (check out the Canadian issues of Vaughn Monroe's
> "When The Lights Go On" and Alvino Rey's "Deep In The Heart of Texas".
> Oddly enough, where we had the original parts from older recordings, we
> often kept using them long after the US had dubbed replacements on Artie
> Shaw and Fats Waller sides as well as most of the records in the HJ
> series. Red Seals may also have been pressed from imported parts and not
> dubbed.

US RCA essentially dubbed all (or nearly?!) of their extant recordings in
the
1940's...apparently so that the run-in/out grooves could be added to make
them "changer-friendly"...! The Canadian equivalents were, in many cases,
NOT dubbed...! Obviously. I know SFA about Canadian pressings of
classical discs...?!

Steven C. Barr