[78-L] Jimmie Rodgers Museum

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Fri May 21 19:35:57 PDT 2010

From: "Royal Pemberton" <ampex354 at gmail.com>
> I've not seen any of these Canadian records....so if I understand
> correctly,
> until 1938 these records still looked rather like US Victors of the late
> 1920s as regards where the eccentric grooves were placed at the end of
> each
> side?  And what about the VE symbol....was it still the earlier oval, had
> it
> changed to the diamond, or was there no symbol?  (And if they ever used
> the
> diamond, about when did they start doing so?  The same as in the US?)

T can only give a partial reply, without digging out and checking the actual
78's (which I assume I still own...?!)!

Canadian Bluebird discs used the same labels, in the same sequence (but
NOT changed at the same time!). The classic "buff" BB label was used into
the late thirties (the background was more yellow than buff!)...so that
there exist Glenn Miller BB's on that label. Canadian Victors carried the
"His Master's Voice" sub-credit until sometime in 1947. Since our issues
of US recordings were usually pressed using imported (from USA)
stampers, I assume these were visual duplicates of their US counterparts?!

However, RCA(C) promoted electrical recordings from their initial
introduction; Compo was already issuing (and promoting) its own
electrically-recorded records in late January 1925. As a result, there
exists (and I own) a Canadian promotional (HMV-)Victor which
pairs the regular-issue side by Jack Shilkret (acoustic) with an
electric version of (supposedly) the same performance!

Canadian HMV-Victors were promoted as "VE-Process" until
the US parent company started promoting "Orthophonic" electric
records.

BTW, Canadian BB's used their version of the "buff" label through
the low B-10400's; then used the "staff" label for a few months,
followed by the usual dark-blue label. The very last Canadian
Bluebirds appeared on the RCA Victor label...but with "B-" catalog
numbers, and a sub-credit at the top of their labels, "Bluebird
Series"...!

Steven C. Barr