[78-L] MGM Musical Shorts

Geoffrey Wheeler dialjazz at verizon.net
Fri May 21 16:16:40 PDT 2010

As someone very much taken by sports of the 1920s and ’30s and their
stars, I was familiar with Bill Tilden and was awed by his
accomplishments. When Ross Russell, founder of Dial Records, told me he
once served as a ball boy for Tilden at matches in Los Angeles, I was
greatly impressed. Unbeknownst to most jazz enthusiasts, Russell was a
skilled tennis player and golfer, and was a teacher of both sports. For
a time, he even managed a golf club in Massachusetts.