[78-L] Gutter ball

Geoffrey Wheeler dialjazz at verizon.net
Thu May 20 14:37:22 PDT 2010

Just came across another 12-inch disc with similar wording on the label
 > (Unbreakable, Noiseless, shadowgraphed steel or Sapphire needle) but
this
 > one is a heavy vinyl pressing, 78RPM with an oversized label. FLAT
FOOT
 > and MAD DOG are the titles, exactly as given, and a sticker I added
some
 > time ago identified these as the New Orleans Bootblacks from Columbia
 > 14437-D. The difference is that this label also identifies the
 > issuer--Vinylite Jazz Re-Issues, 211 E. 15th St., New York 3, N.Y.
 > Possibly this is the same source as the lacquers I mentioned. (Those
 > lacquers are dubs from 78s, but they could be old recordings or they
could
 > be a revival band recorded in a bowling alley..you know the sound.)

This is a Boris Rose product. If you had seen others of these vinylite
recordings, you would recognize the wording regarding shadowgraph,
noiseless, etc.I have not seen any 12-inch discs but have seen plenty
of 10-inch discs, some with handwritten strip labels. In some cases, I
have two copies of certain records, each with slightly different
labels. A clean, colored-vinyl pressing looks quite nice.