[78-L] Jimmie Rodgers Museum

Bill McClung bmcclung78 at gmail.com
Thu May 20 08:58:43 PDT 2010

In these parts it's Ernest Tubb who is most identified with Jimmie Rodgers.
Did your guide mention Tubb?

Rodgers spent his later years living in Kerrville, Texas because the climate
better suited his health.  Tubb had knocked around west Texas for several
years trying to sound a lot like Rodgers.  Mrs. Rodgers moved to San Antonio
after Jimmie's death and in 1936 heard Tubb on a local radio show.  She
appreciated the many Jimmie Rodgers songs Tubb was performing and, even
though she didn't think Tubb sounded like Jimmie, she became his musical
mentor, helping set up tour dates and helping secure a Bluebird recording
contract.  She also lent Tubb Jimmie's touring car and gave him Jimmie's
famous Martin guitar.