[78-L] It was more than Okeh

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Tue May 18 20:46:44 PDT 2010

From: "simmonssomer" <simmonssomer at comcast.net>
> This has undoubtedly been discussed before but I missed it so...does
> anyone
> know how Okeh engineers managed their superb sound quality
> on their acoustically recorded sides? What was the secret. Why couldn't
> other labels come up to that level on a consistent basis..?

This, in fact, begs another question...! How much, in fact, was known about
the
whole science of acoustic recording? Did Okeh (and a few other
labels...oddly
enough, including SOME Arto discs) come up with their great sound through
careful designing of their recording horns...or purely by chance? By 1924,
Brunswick was putting out high-quality acoustic sides; in fact, when they
started recording electrically (not that well) it was hard to tell how sides
were recorded!

Victor, of course, used the well-designed "Orthophonic" horns on their
machines to play their electrically-recorded discs; as well, Edison
experimented
with a VERY long recording horn (I wonder what he knew about the acoustics
of recording and playing sound...?!)...!

Steven C. Barr