[78-L] Who is William Robyn?

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Fri May 14 22:46:08 PDT 2010

From: "Jim Whipkey" <suuford at msn.com>
> I've been back to the auctions and  last night  won a pile of old records,
> some junk, some  nice ones, some I  recognize, etc. But there is one
> which is   totally new to me.  I have a Victor  record with two songs
> performed by William Robyn (Tenor with orchestra).   I do not recall ever
> running across him before.  The singing is pretty  typical of  those from
> the  20s and 30s,  high pitched,  well-enunciated,  on tune male tenor.
> The  selections are:  Down the Trail to Home Sweet Home  and I'm in Heaven
> when I'm in my Mother's Arms. It's  Victor  number 18686.  Anyone know
> anything about   this guy? Oh,  my  big excitement at the pile of records,
> found  an old Eddy Arnold,  Enclosed, one broken heart and Cuddle Buggin'
> Baby,  and   a great Selvin's novelty Orchestra playing Dardenella and My
> Isle of Golden Dreams.

Yes, Virginia, there really IS/WAS a William Robyn! Many years ago, when he
was extremely old, he made a "guest appearance" at a CAPS  (Canadian...)
meeting. It would be hatd to say who was more astonished...Mr. Robyn,
upon discovering there were folks who had heard of him many decades
later...or we CAPS members upon discovering there was a human being
responsible for countless Cameo (et al) 78's credited under that name...?!

Steven C, Barr