[78-L] a shuddering stylus

Malcolm Rockwell malcolm at 78data.com
Fri May 14 10:10:46 PDT 2010

Has anyone else besides me noticed a little shudder of their tone arm
once a revolution on some pressings? It's especially prevalent at the
outside edge of indy 1950s issues, but not limited to them and can cause
the stylus to jump out of the groove in some instances. In fact I
recently received an RCA-Victor record with this problem. It seems to
disappear the closer to the center of the disc the groove is.
I believe it's due to an unbalanced (or badly lubricated) lead screw, or
possibly a bad bearing at the outer end of the lead screw on the disc
cutter.
Any other ideas?
Mal