[78-L] Artie Shaw Bio review in today's Wall St. Journal

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri May 14 08:54:53 PDT 2010

David Lennick wrote:
> "One day, during one of his periodic retreats into rural life, Artie Shaw nearly chopped off a forefinger while cutting firewood. "And I swear," he said later, "the very first thought I had was, 'I'll never have to play the clarinet again.' "
>

> Interesting..especially since Pablo Casals is supposed to have said exactly the same thing about the cello.
>

> dl
"Professionally, Shaw hired Billie Holiday when white bands weren't
supposed to have black singers, and he fought the segregation of Jim
Crow that such performers encountered during tours."

What about Jan Savitt and Bon Bon, Jimmy Dorsey and June Richmond?

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5115 (20100514) __________

http://www.eset.com