[78-L] Artie Shaw Bio review in today's Wall St. Journal

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Fri May 14 08:04:28 PDT 2010

"One day, during one of his periodic retreats into rural life, Artie Shaw nearly chopped off a forefinger while cutting firewood. "And I swear," he said later, "the very first thought I had was, 'I'll never have to play the clarinet again.' "

Interesting..especially since Pablo Casals is supposed to have said exactly the same thing about the cello.

dl