[78-L] RCA Special purpose records

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Thu May 13 19:18:22 PDT 2010

The Special Purpose Series label was called by RCA "Circle #280.  It
started with Release 47-48, which means the 48th release of 1947.  The
first notice of the label series was dated Nov 18, 1947.  The sample
label on the RCA file sheet for this label is 20-2853-B, which is noted
above that number as DJ-6.  Timings are given under the artist credit
for: "Intro: 8 sec,  1st Voc 1:06, Inst: 33 sec, 2nd Voc: 41 sec, Tag 1
sec.  Total time: 2:29."  I didn't note the color on my B&W photocopy
but it is either silver or gold on black.

The RCA Record Label Circles book also shows an earlier white label that
was not approved by the Law Dept.  Above the spindle hole it said "RCA
Victor Advance Pressing of" with the record info under the hole, the
number to the right of the hole  (samples were 20-2354 A&B and 10-1313
A&B) and it said in small letters under the artist credit: "(not for
re-sale) .  The notation dated 7/22/47 says they should have used Circle
#269 or new #279, neither of which I have sheets for.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com