[78-L] THis appears to be the big weekend event during ARSC Conference

Jeff Lichtman jeff at swazoo.com
Thu May 13 10:18:09 PDT 2010

>I know the Lars Edegran band, which is playing at the Palm Court
>Jazz Cafe on Wednesday night. I saw Edegran in Ascona in 2003 and he
>had a top notch group, that included the great nonagenarian
>saxophonist Franz Jackson (who has since passed away). My favorite
>living trumpet player, Duke Heitger, was playing with Lars that
>week, so I hope he's still with the band, as well as Evan
>Christopher, a superb Dixieland clarinetist. Regardless, Lars picks
>good talent, and I'm going to try and see him next Wednesday.
>
>Cary Ginell

Evan Christopher will be in Europe. Topsy Chapman will be singing
with the band on Wednesday the 19th. Leroy Jones will be at the Palm
Court on the 20th - his sound is sort of a cross between traditional
and modern jazz. Clive Wilson will be there on the 21st, and Lionel
Ferbos on the 22nd. Lionel is 98 years old! Tom Fischer and Leon "Kid
Chocolate" Brown will be at the Palm Court on Sunday the 23rd -
Fischer is a versatile reed player and Brown is a very good
up-and-coming trumpeter.

I like the music at the Palm Court, but not the food. I'd recommend
eating somewhere else first.

                        -        Jeff Lichtman
                                 jeff at swazoo.com
                                 http://swazoo.com/