[78-L] japanese 78s

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Thu May 13 08:09:03 PDT 2010

Gene Baron wrote:
> I don't have a real answer for your question, but I can tell you that Tanko
> Bushi is a very popular Japanese folk song and dance (a coal-miner dance in
> which one mimics the movements of miners digging and carting the coal).
> It's possible the non-vocal side is more for dancing but this is 100% a
> guess.  Gene  gene.baron at gmail.com

This could be a good guess because we see folk and square dance records
like this all the time.  There were some American labels like FolkArt
which specialized in it.  This allows square dance groups without a
caller to use the side with the calls, but allows groups with a caller
to use the other side with his own live calls.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com