[78-L] Blue Note label types

Geoffrey Wheeler dialjazz at verizon.net
Tue May 11 11:09:08 PDT 2010

Han Enderman asks of Blue Note catalog sequences: “In the 1500 series I
have images in range 1564-1629 (why did it start with 1564?)” My guess
lies in the “4,” which may have been intended to come after the “3” of
573. I’m quite astounded at the $1241 price paid for BN 2. My
collection of 12-inch Blue Note 78s begins with BN 3 (Port of Harlem
Jazzmen), followed by BN 7 and BN 14 also Port of Harlem Jazzmen. I was
impressed by that studio group! From there, it goes selectively up to
BN 51 (Art Hodes), with a run in between from BN 32 to BN 47. From
questions I have read on the Jazz Collector website devoted to the
pricing and collecting of LPs, especially Blue Note LPs, some
collectors seem to think Blue Note 12-inch 78s are as valuable as the
LPs.