[78-L] Lena

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Tue May 11 09:49:37 PDT 2010

A few other things that haven't been mentioned yet regarding Lena Horne's recording career:

In 1957, she starred in Harold Arlen and Yip Harburg's Broadway musical "Jamaica," for which she was given raves for her sultry performance.

With Harry Belafonte, Horne recorded songs from "Porgy and Bess" for RCA Victor in 1959, which have always been some of my favorite interpretations of the Gershwin/Gershwin/Heyward score. (Actually, the two only sang together on two songs: "Bess, You Is My Woman" and "There's a Boat Dat's Leavin' Soon for New York.")

Horne and Belafonte reunited ten years later for a successful television special, "Harry and Lena."

Cary Ginell