[78-L] Reprise: Blue on Yellow Label Blue Note Record

Geoffrey Wheeler dialjazz at verizon.net
Mon May 10 14:48:32 PDT 2010

Again, going back to previous postings, I came across the Monday,
November 23, 2009 subject of the yellow-and-blue Blue Note 78 record
labels. There were questions about when use of yellow and blue began,
when it changed to blue and white, etc. Although I have focused on
collecting Blue Note 10-inch 78s, the company’s first years were
focused more on producing 12-inch 78s than 10-inch between January 1939
and April 1941. I have 10-inch Blue Notes 501 and 502, which have
yellow-and-blue labels. Don’t have 503 or 504, but have 505 through
516, which are all blue and white and remain that way through 573
(Bechet). Blue Note 505 through 509 feature Art Hodes and were recorded
in March 1944.  Although modern jazz recordings were introduced to the
catalog beginning with 534-537 (Bab’s 3 Bips and a Bop), followed by
releases by Dameron, Monk, Blakey, Moody, and Howard McGhee, the modern
series really begins with 1564 (Tadd Dameron/Thelonious Monk), which is
yellow and blue, and ends at 1629. I collect 1564-1629 selectively by
artist and stop at 1606 and 1607 (Gil Melle).