[78-L] Pony Poindexter [was Bishop Pressinigs]

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed May 5 23:52:13 PDT 2010

Geoffrey Wheeler wrote:
> Dan Van Landingham says: “You mentioned altoist Pony Poindexter.I have
> a friend from the Seattle area who once saw him get into a "battle of
> the altos" so to speak.He was playing with an altoist named Buddy
> Catlett and according to
> my friend,Dick Burley,who is a trombonist,Catlett  "drew and quartered
> him.Catlett contracted TB and
> while in treatment,learned to play string bass.Catlett later played
> with Basie; Catlett wound up living in the
> Seattle area.”
>
> I’ve heard little of Poindexter’s work but what little I’ve heard does
> not impress me. He may be more famous because of the Lambert,
> Hendricks, and Ross lyrics to ”Little Pony” from the LP album “Sing a
> Song of Basie.”
I've a feeling that the title was dedicated to Wardell Gray, who soloed
on the first Basie version. Seems the guy was more famous for being a
legend than for his achievements.

      Julian Vein

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5089 (20100505) __________

http://www.eset.com