[78-L] How I Came to Listen to Classical Records [FWD]

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Wed May 5 19:48:55 PDT 2010

From: "Mike Harkin" <xxm.harkin at yahoo.com>
> What a lovely fairy tale.  I know it's a fairy tale, 'cause the collector
> sold his collections at
> a huge profit.  Over the years I have sold various collections
> [coins/banknotes/stamps/
> model trains/records/cd's] -- some of them mine, and some my first
> wife's -- and ALWAYS
> at  an enormous financial loss!  Never mind the pain, as it's like selling
> a bit of oneself.

The problem is/was that you were selling COLLECTIONS (as opposed to
individual
examples of "collectibles"...!). "Collections" have two problems as
merchandise:
first, they inevitably include a lot of readily-available items, which
virtually all
collectors already own...and second they often include items which not all
(in
some cases, not MANY) collectors are interested in acquiring...?! In many
cases,
the purchasers will be dealers...who have to pay wholesale (or less) in
order to
be sure of making a profit on their resale!

Over the last decade-plus, I have essentially quit buying individual 78's
(with
a couple of exceptions). However, I was able to buy four (IIRC) large
bunches
of 78's (1200 to 3000) at VERY advantageous prices; I suspect I also
acquired
a number (although not as many as I expected...?!) of duplicates in the
process?!
Someday, I shall have the time to sort out all my duplicates, and then try
sell them...?!

Ideally, collections need to be sold off item-by-item; however, most folks
don't have (or don't want to expend) the time and effort for this
process...?!

Steven C. Barr