[78-L] Youth collectors

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Tue May 4 19:03:00 PDT 2010

From: "Craig Ventresco" <craigventresco at gmail.com>

> He was a 4th grade teacher with absolutely no interest in passing on any
> knowledge to a younger collector.

As a retired teacher, I find this very, very strange!

> In my early 20's I moved to California and met a number of collectors with
> great collections of records.Most were REALLY nice people.. Some of them,
> however, were completely disinterested in helping a younger collector with
> information. In fact, it seemed like there was  an "old boy network" which
> featured a lot of crotchety, jaded guys being dismissive of me because I
> was so young.

In NYC we had the Syndicate, and people like Len Kunstadt, Carl
Kendzioria, and George Blacker who LOVED passing on the info from the
old boys to the young guys.  See the video excerpt about the Syndicate
from my daughter's documentary.
http://fortherecorddvdspecial.blogspot.com/

> The collectors who were helpful to me early on really helped shape my
> collecting interestes as an adult. I can't say enough nice things about
> them.They helped keep my interest level high and I owe them a lot. Those
> awesome collectors who come to mind include John A Petty, Bill Bryant,
> Milford Fargo , George Blacker and Jim Walsh, .(all deceased now)

You were so, so, so lucky to have met and known these people.  Milford
was the sweetest guy who ever walked on earth.  A talented performer and
teacher.  I did the eulogy for him at ARSC in Rochester.  George was a
close pal of mine and I miss communicating with him terribly.  He would
have LOVED the 78-L and what computers can do to bring collectors
together and distribute records.  He would have been the KING of this
list.

Bill Bryant is the real tragedy.  He was so young, and none of us really
expected him to go.  He was so lonely out in Maine, and the internet
would have really boosted his spirits when he needed it.  He got
George's papers when George died, and many of these included papers from
the late Carl Kendzioria, who had in turn inherited many papers from the
late Perry Argamac.  As Bill packed the papers into his car I reminded
him of this genealogy.  "Does this mean I'm next?" he said laughingly.
And he was.

I only met John Petty a couple of times, but he was the most unusual
person for being a preacher. He was THE Uncle Josh collector.  His death
still gives me the creeps -- it was a horrible way to die.  (The car he
was working on fell on him.)  I didn't know Jim Walsh except by
reputation and meeting him a couple of times.  A person more dedicated
to his cats never lived!  He started more people on collecting 78s than
possibly anybody in this country.

> I won't bother naming the jerks whom I encountered!

I think we might guess!!

> I'm 42 now and still working on my collection. I would encourage all older
> collectors on this list to be accepting of younger folk just getting into
> records. I have met some people in their 20's with a keen awareness of
> records, however I have also seen younger people loose interest and
> abandon
> records, in part because it is sometimes very hard to find sympathetic
> people to talk shop with.Older record guys: If you know a younger
> collector
> be nice to them! Take the time to pass on the fascinating tidbits of
> minutia that you encounter .Explain matrix and take numbers.

I practice this on my daughter all the time!!

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com