[78-L] Signed-in-wax recordings post-Berliner (such as Mary Garden on Columbia A 1190) query.

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Tue May 4 18:19:53 PDT 2010

From: Michael Biel <mbiel at mbiel.com>

From: Glenn Longwell <glongwell at snet.net>
> I just got a stack of Hungarian records in a collection that
> came my way.  There were 11 Erno records.

Here is an interesting point about Hungarian names.  The Hungarians
print them in reverse -- they do it last name then first name.  So Erno
is his first name, Kiraly (if I have the spelling right) is his family
name.  Sometimes they help us out by printing the family name in
all-caps.  So in Hungarian books and records you might see BARTOK Bela,
or Bartok Bella.  It is also last name then first name when a street or
park is named for a person in Hungary.  When speaking, the Hungarians
also sing-song people's names and blend the names together instead of
saying them distinctly.  When I would listen to Radio Budapest in
English I could understand every word EXCEPT the names!  When I was
there I tried to explain to them that they need to say each word of a
name separately and as distinctly as the rest of their sentences.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com