[78-L] Celery Stalks at Midnight

Michael Shoshani mshoshani at sbcglobal.net
Tue May 4 11:54:55 PDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-05-04 at 18:41 +0000, agp wrote:
> Was digging through the stuiff thats in constant always being played
> rotation around here in Bear's Paw Ontario, and popped one of my all
> time faves on the turntable -- Celery Stalks at Midnight. The version
> I have is on Columbia 35707 by Will Bradley and his Orchestra -- and
> a listed cast of thousands (or so it seems).
>
> Two questions -- First -- is there a definative version of this track
> done by some else -- in other words, did some one esle record the
> best known version of this track with Will Bradley's being a cover
> (oh no! not that debate again!)

I'm wanting to say that Les Brown's version came out first, but I don't
know. Will Bradley has co-writer credit on the song, but that is no
indicator of whose recording hit the market first.

BTW, Columbia put out a Will Bradley/Ray McKinley CD that contained a
different take of 'Celery'. At least it's different from the one I have
on the standard red-label Columbia 78.

> Also -- whats with listing the entire orchestra on the label! Geez --
> do the eyes start go at 52 or what! -- is that 14 names in little bitty print?

They did that sometimes. So did Victor, especially on records bearing a
'Swing Classics' label. I've no idea why, but the great 78-L hive-mind
will likely as not turn up an answer.