[78-L] "Crazy" Blues

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Mon May 3 20:25:47 PDT 2010

Mr.  Barr tells us:

> Well, collectors of classical 78's (and lovers of classical music in
> general) are
> a completely different issue...?! They listen to the music for totally
> different
> reasons; as well, virtually all classical music was written a century or
> before
> ago (I'm guessing there may exist current composers of classical music...
> but they are not at all well known?!)
>
> Steven C. Barr

When the above message showed up on my computer,  the built-in  "silliness
detector" went crazy and almost shorted out.

PLEASE DO enlighten us,  oh Foamy Font of Fabulous Factoids,  as to some of
these "totally different reasons" why these strange,  mysterious so called
"lovers of classical music" listen to the stuff as opposed to whatever you
happen to listen to?  Are they trying to build character?  Torture
themselves?  Impress their friends and relatives?  Obviously none of them
could possibly listen to it for the pleasure of the music itself...if YOU
don't listen to it,  what good reason would anyone else have to do so?

And what happens when one of your  "serious jazz lovers" decides to listen
to something of Beethoven or Bach?  Do they first need to put on a different
hat in order to listen the "correct" way?   Perhaps there is a permit form
which they can download and then fill out and send to someone in authority.

Please let us know how and for what reasons we should be listening to our
records...I'd hate to think that I've been doing it the wrong way all these
years.

Taylor

(I think I'll throw in a spare "?!" just to get into the spirit of things)