[78-L] Turntables that will play 78s and 16" ETs

Jack Raymond jraymond at alumni.princeton.edu
Mon May 3 13:54:27 PDT 2010

Alan Betz wrote:

> The Technics SL-1100A can just accomodate 16" ETs.  The arm is a
> little short but the ETs still sound good.  The turntable can be
> modified by addition of a switch, pot, and one resistor to play at
> any speed between 60 RPM and 95 RPM.   It has good torque and speed
> stability. It can still be used in the normal mode with the swtch
> turned off.

I agree completely.  I've used an SL-1100 (with the 78rpm modification)
for some 25 or 30 years with no problems whatsoever -- no servicing of
any kind -- and it still runs perfectly.  My only complaint is that it
won't accommodate the two or three 17-1/2" disks that I have, but that's
a minor worry.

-- Jack Raymond