[78-L] Youth collectors

Geoffrey Wheeler dialjazz at verizon.net
Mon May 3 12:45:02 PDT 2010

Taylor Bowie’s story is is both encouraging and sobering. Encouraging
for the support he found, but sobering for the curmudgeons he
encountered who were unwilling to share their knowledge, enthusiasm,
and the playing of records. From the moment I was born, I was exposed
to jazz and classical records. Both where part of my household, and
both something that enthralled and fascinated me. Through the years, I
have met relatively few people who were encouraging about collecting.
Most I learned and did on my own with the aid of books, magazines,
records, sheet music, live performances, radio, and film. Luckily, four
or five collectors I met through publications, phone calls, and letters
(remember those?) were friendly and encouraging. I believe sharing is
the way to nourish and learn.