[78-L] Susan Reed obit

Royal Pemberton ampex354 at gmail.com
Sun May 2 21:54:03 PDT 2010

(Somewhat OT)  That big band programme might well be gearing up for a
tribute to one of Canada's finest jazz musicians, valve trombonist Rob
McConnell, who died yesterday:
http://www.ejazznews.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=11273&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

Rob McConnell, has died of cancer in a Toronto hospital on Saturday May 1.
Known primarily as the leader and arranger of the internationally renowned
Boss Brass, McConnell's arrangements for his band and numerous television
shows set a standard and defined the Canadian sound for big band music for
decades.

A unique musical voice, caustic wit and meticulous leadership on the
bandstand were just a few of McConnell's trademarks, after launching the
Boss Brass in the late 60s. Awards and honours for McConnell and the band
were numerous, with multiple Grammy nominations and a win for best jazz big
band in 1984 and three Juno awards in 1978, 1981 and 1984. In addition,
McConnell was inducted into the Canadian Music Hall of Fame in 1997 and
received the Order of Canada in 1998.

McConnell and the Boss Brass collaborated with many jazz greats over the
years including Mel Torme and The Singers Unlimited and the list of
musicians who played in the band reads like a who's who of Canadian jazz
luminaries: Moe Koffman, Ed Bickert, Don Thompson, and Guido Basso are just
a few.