[78-L] Susan Reed obit

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sun May 2 20:05:50 PDT 2010

From: "Banjo Bud" <banjobud at cfl.rr.com>
> I personally do not believe for a moment that our vast collection
> (accumulation?) of old 78's is in any danger as we leave this world
> behind.
> I think the age of the collector is irrelevant.  For instance, I was not
> even a twinkle in my daddy's eye when Billy Murray recorded "Indianola,"
> or
> when Silas Leachman belted out "Ain't Dat A Shame," but I treasure these
> items greatly.  And so do my sons!  After all, as time goes by, these
> recordings only get rarer, and there will always be those that revere the
> songs and singers of yore.  Yes, and the horse they rode in on!  I feel
> that
> there are many more collectors of the old disks today than there were in
> my
> somewhat jaded youth, and I firmly believe that there will be even more in
> the future.
> Just my thoughts.

I DO agree that virtually all of us 78 collectors don't collect out of
nostalgia;
after all, the last 78's were issued 1958-1960, which in turn means that the
"average" original buyer is probably well into his/her/its sixties by
now...?!

OTOH, we are essentially ALL fans of the popular music and "jazz" of the
1900-4? period...?! And there is/are NO signs that the current contingent
of music lovers are interested in any "old" music beyond the rock music
of the sixties?! Here in Toronto, a "big band"-based radio program has
gradually shifted its musical content to the (IMHO?!) uninteresting
recordings of bands like 101 Strings et al...?! These bands are unarguably
"big"...but the music does NOT compare to the hits which we call
"big bands"...?!

So, I have to wonder how many people will continue to want our
accumulations...?! Keep in mind that machines capable of playing
78's are gradually becoming more expensive and harder to find
(the ubiquitous USB-based players usually do NOT provide the
3-mil needle needed to play 78's...?!)!

Comment ca va?!

Steven C. Barr