[78-L] (no subject)

Jeff Sultanof jeffsultanof at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 20:05:07 PDT 2010

Music Sales is a publishing company that obviously prepared the set to
promote the Scott copyrights, which they purchased in 1962. Usually such a
set is sent to producers, sound track supervisors and other music industry
professionals who might consider using these copyrights for movies, tv shows
and recordings. This set was not made so that people would actually sit down
and listen to it from beginning to end. Including 24 versions of the biggest
Scott copyright that they have makes sense for a basic reason: most music
supervisors, directors, etc. haven't a clue about music, and by listening to
any number of versions of a song, publishers hope that these people will
license not only a recording itself but the overall copyright, obviously
making money for the publisher.

Scott, a real eccentric, once claimed that he had no idea that his
compositions were being used in Warner Bros. cartoons. Warners owned the
copyrights at the time. How he looked at his royalty checks and didn't
wonder where this money was coming from is an intriguing thought.

WB once put out a 24 CD set collection of hundreds of their copyrights. I'd
love to have been the guy who compiled it. I heard he made a lot of money
doing it.

Jeff Sultanof