[78-L] Gene Lees obit

Jeff Sultanof jeffsultanof at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 18:10:23 PDT 2010

Gene was somebody you either loved or hated, he had that kind of
personality. I loved him, and at the same time I understand those who say
that he always insinuated himself in stories about others. He was not the
first or the last to do this, however.

Gene did his homework and some of his things are just plain brilliant. His
essay on the english language from olden times to the present is a fabulous
piece of writing; when he did presentations on lyric writing, he rarely
discussed his own work. He loved Hart, Lerner and especially Mercer.

Jeff Sultanof