[78-L] Benny Goodman & Harry Parry - autographs on same date?

Tim Huskisson timhuskisson at btinternet.com
Mon Apr 26 16:18:11 PDT 2010

A clarinettist friend of mine owns a book 'Treatise on the Clarinet' by
Rudolph Dunbar which I believe he obtained in a 2nd hand book store. On the
front page of the book are the original owner's name and address, and three
autographs.
Two of these appear to be by Benny Goodman and Harry Parry, and both are
dated 2/12/1940.
But where would Benny Goodman and Harry Parry have been together in 1940?
Harry Parry, though already beginning to become known in Britain, had not
yet begun recording his many 'Radio Rhythm Club Sextet' Parlophones, and I
doubt that he was known at all in the USA in 1940.

Another curiosity is that both autographs are dated - and both use the same
date format. i.e. to a Brit, 2/12/1940 means 2nd December 1940. To an
American, it would mean February 12, 1940. Whatever the date, I can only
presume that only one person could have inserted both dates. It also begs
the question, are these autographs genuine? And there is a THIRD autograph
which I can't identify, but dated some years later.
Does anyone here have access to sources that would indicate where Goodman
was performing on the above two possible dates? - and does anyone recognise
the third autograph?

I've scanned the page and also the title page and a portrait of Rudolph
Dunbar (from the book) at:
http://www.timhuskisson.talktalk.net/treatise.htm

regards

Tim Huskisson