[78-L] Mancini and Beneke

Jeff Sultanof jeffsultanof at gmail.com
Sun Apr 25 18:21:21 PDT 2010

Collector's Choice had a Beneke/Miller CD some years ago, which I have. It
is wonderful, even the sound is good (I am not a big fan of NY sessions on
Victor from 1944-49; much too dry). I have no idea if the CD is available.
Whomever compiles the CD contents of many of CC's CDs is 'chart' driven. He
checks that horrible Billboard book (the name escapes me) where the chart
information is unverified and builds the contents around it. The Dorsey
Bros. CD they put out had only a few Decca's, and they weren't the better
titles.

As we know, Beneke and the Miller estate (read Helen Miller) was an uneasy
alliance from the beginning; Beneke wanted the band to move forward, Helen
Miller wanted the status quo. Finally the estate showed up at a theatre and
demanded the return of the book. Beneke was ready for them; he'd already
copied some of the Miller hits so they could stay in the book. Marion Evans,
who arranged for the band in the late 40s, tells this story so well, I wish
I could remember all the details; it sounded like a Keystone comedy the way
he relates the story. Marion transcribed some things later on Beneke. If
you've heard La Rosita, this band could really wail, and Beneke does not
sound like Boots Randolph as he often did when he played up-tempo with
Miller.

Jeff Sultanof