[78-L] Pepsi--WAS: Alvino Rey and The Kings

simmonssomer simmonssomer at comcast.net
Sat Apr 24 10:27:38 PDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Geoffrey Wheeler" <dialjazz at verizon.net>
To: <78-l at klickitat.78online.com>
Sent: Saturday, April 24, 2010 11:39 AM
Subject: [78-L] Pepsi--WAS: Alvino Rey and The Kings

I think most of us can hark back to those youthful days when life for a
growing child was much different. We were more active and interactive;
we expended lots of calories; males were more likely to be outside and
active in good weather and far less likely to be inside watching
television or listening to the radio (although I must confess there
were days when I was in a chair and ready at 4:45 for the first
15-minute episode between then and 6:00 p.m.) I remember hearing Dick
Tracy on the radio before the war and wondering why a man would be
calling a woman “baby.” I and my friends walked to and from school,
except in inclement weather. During my school years, I was never on a
school bus. Even when I had my driver’s license, I would still walk to
visit friends who lived sometimes two or three miles away.

The youth I am acquainted with today don’t exercise, don’t read except
what they have to, subsist on junk food, watch infantile kiddie shows
on television, have more health problems that were unimagineable when I
was a youth, and are constantly texting or talking to their friends by
mobile phone, not in person. As a child, I was not allowed to use the
family phone. Period! Why would I have to call somebody I had or would
see in school? When I was in high school, if I did call someone, I was
limited to no more than 5 minutes, except if it concerned school..

I agree. And as far as listening to infantile radio stuff we listened only
to mature material such as:

*Uncle Don.......... "Hibbedygib hot shot ring Bo ree. sibonia hibbidi
hilodee" (another mejuggenah)
*Captain Midnight and The Secret Squadron ("Drink Ovaltine
kids")................  ( really lousy stuff,. and I can say that having
ingested some 100 gallons of the crap.
 * Jack Armstrong The All American Boy (Have you tried
Wheaties?)...............
*The Shadow "Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?"   "The Shadow
do!"
*Red Ryder ("Send in for one of our 1,000 shot repeater rifles kids!" )
*Mr. Keene, Tracer of Lost Persons             (our version......  Mr.
Tracer..Keener than most persons?)
*The Breakfast Club" with Don McNeill  "Let's march around the breakfast
table gang"
*The Green Hornet and Kato  ("C'mon Kato")
*Mandrake The Magician and Lothar ("C'mon Lothar")
*The Lone Ranger and Tonto "Giddem up keemosabe" ("C'mon Tonto")

Al Simmons  (C'mon Al)