[78-L] Pepsi--WAS: Alvino Rey and The Kings

Geoffrey Wheeler dialjazz at verizon.net
Sat Apr 24 08:39:58 PDT 2010

I think most of us can hark back to those youthful days when life for a
growing child was much different. We were more active and interactive;
we expended lots of calories; males were more likely to be outside and
active in good weather and far less likely to be inside watching
television or listening to the radio (although I must confess there
were days when I was in a chair and ready at 4:45 for the first
15-minute episode between then and 6:00 p.m.) I remember hearing Dick
Tracy on the radio before the war and wondering why a man would be
calling a woman “baby.” I and my friends walked to and from school,
except in inclement weather. During my school years, I was never on a
school bus. Even when I had my driver’s license, I would still walk to
visit friends who lived sometimes two or three miles away.

The youth I am acquainted with today don’t exercise, don’t read except
what they have to, subsist on junk food, watch infantile kiddie shows
on television, have more health problems that were unimagineable when I
was a youth, and are constantly texting or talking to their friends by
mobile phone, not in person. As a child, I was not allowed to use the
family phone. Period! Why would I have to call somebody I had or would
see in school? When I was in high school, if I did call someone, I was
limited to no more than 5 minutes, except if it concerned school..