[78-L] (no subject)

Geoffrey Wheeler dialjazz at verizon.net
Thu Apr 22 08:18:51 PDT 2010

Mike Biel asks: “My pal Pekka Gronow in an essay "Recycling History"
http://images.cch.kcl.ac.uk/charm/liv/redist/pdf/s6gronow.pdf
illustrates a booklet "The Parlophone Rhythem-Style Series" compiled by
Edgar Jackson.  Is that the one you mean?

I can’t seem to access the source you mention, but yes, there are five
Parlophone Rhythm Style booklets by the Gramophone’s Edgar Jackson ( I
have four, beginning with the first edition from 1936), and the HMV
“Swing Music and Hot Rhythm Records,” also by Edgar Jackson. I have
only the 1944 edition. The updated editions were issued roughly every
two years. These are well organized, present a good deal of information
on instrumentation and personnels that was new for the time. I obtained
all my copies from England via e-bay. In several instances, I was the
only bidder. I see these as part of the discographic continuum
beginning with Schleman, then Delaunay, The Jazz Record Book; the“
little” jazz magazines like HRS Rag, Jazz Information, and Jazz Record;
Blackstone’s Index to Jazz (the first volume comes with two different
covers), and so on.