[78-L] Alvino Rey and The Kings

Dan Van Landingham danvanlandingham at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 21 23:56:23 PDT 2010

I had one of them I found in a Myrtle Creek,Oregon Saint Vincent DePaul store about fifteen years ago.The other Berigan I had was one of those that was issued on Philharmonic.Both were pretty battered.Berigan's playing was just pitiful:it made for some rather grim listening.Berigan's drummer Jack Sperling,once told me that he
quit the Berigan band three weeks before Berigan died which was on 2 June 1942.Those Elite sides were issued on Melodie Jazz Classics as you know.The only
Berigan recording I can't find much info on is a late 1941 full band recording of "Get Hep With Pepsi Cola".I think Georgia Gibbs did the vocal on it.I first heard those
Berigan Elite recordings on a cheap Design "Three of a Kind" LP some twenty years ago.