[78-L] Charlie Shavers [was Vogue picture record]

Dan Van Landingham danvanlandingham at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 21 17:02:24 PDT 2010

I have an early '70s "Vintage Series" LP that has some 1939 Bluebird session by Newton with Mezz on
clarinet and Pete Brown on alto.I liked Newton's playing.I have many things of Shavers with Dorsey from
the mid '40s plus alot of the things he did with Gleason on Capitol like his "Riff Jazz" album(which disappe-
ared)and several others but while Shavers was considered a maverick,I still couldn't get into him.My favou-
rite trumpeter will always be Bunny Berigan with Harry James in the rear.Ray Anthony I couldn't stand but
I do have his "Please Be Kind" on Sonora.Another trumpeter-leader I'd like to find more of:Jimmy Zito and
that band he led with just a sax and trombone section.I had "Young Man With a Horn" on Coast.The Anth-
ony Sonora I have is just a conversation piece and as a curiousity.I was told by several professional musician friends of mine that he was known as "Ray Agony" behind his back.I had business dealings with him once.