[78-L] Kathleen Lane

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Fri Apr 16 20:24:46 PDT 2010

From: "Geoffrey Wheeler" <dialjazz at verizon.net>

> Yes, reverb was an annoying intrusion on the music. Now that you
> mention it, I recall that being the case with the Harmony LP. I was
> also annoyed about the addition of reverb in remastering material for
> issue on the Charlie Parker Savoy 12-inch “Memorial” LPs.

Point is...NATURAL "reverb" is an important part of sound as we hear
it...for countless generations, we humans have relied on echo to tell
us "where the bear ACTUALLY is"...?! Virtually all 78's were recorded
in heavily-padded studios, so NO reverberation was heard! Sadly, I
forget the details; however, there was a recording which (probably
UNintentionally?!) included some "echo" (a Victor!) and as a result
has an almost-stereo sound!

Note that artificial reverb is (1) VERY easily created...and (2) usually
adds NOTHING to the recording and/or performance...?!

Steven C. Barr