[78-L] 78-L Raeburn's "Rip Van Winkle" (was Department of indecipherable lyrics)

Jeff Sultanof jeffsultanof at gmail.com
Sat Apr 10 13:39:52 PDT 2010

Jack,

You are correct on the lyrics. I still have sheet music that was printed by
Music Publishers Holding Corp. of the song Rip Van Winkle, and that's what's
there.

You will be happy to know that several Handy, Richards and Finckel
compositions and arrangements from the Raeburn book will be published by
Jazzlines Publications in the coming years. I am currently preparing new
scores of them. We will be speaking with Raeburn's son Bruce Boyd Raeburn,
who is the curator of the Jazz Archive of Tulane University.

Rest assured that that band continues to have a following. You may not know
that the Mike Crotty Big Band in Washington D.C. in the early 70s, gave a
few concerts of Raeburn music there and at Carnegie Hall. I knew many
musicians who played in the band.

Jeff Sultanof