[78-L] VJM article: British Jazz Albums of the 1930s and 1940s

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Thu Apr 8 09:04:02 PDT 2010

OK, things are now falling into place.  Geoffrey's book "Jazz by mail"
had listed the three English Brunswick albums, Classic Swing I and II
and Fred Elizdale, and his other book "Collectors Guide to Jazz on
Bootleg & Reissue" also includes 21 Years of Swing Music" but not the 2
HMV albums, the only one I had known about being the Ellington.  Han's
d8scovery of the Gramophone articles about the  Connoisseurs album is
great.  Subscription albums were not unknown in the classical field but
this predates the American jazz club reissues starting in 1934.  I
assume the HMV Ellington was sold in stores, but did they ever relent
about the earlier one and sell it again?  What I am confused about the
two 21 Years of Swing Music albums is the mention of post-war labels.
These were still in print in the mid-40s??!!  . What about the 1936
albums?

The original posting about the VJM article goes on to list  "Bob Crosby
Showcase (Br. Decca)  3 volumes, no date given".  There is an American
Decca album also called Bob Crosby Showcase that was album # 32, six
discs.  Did the bRITISH ISSUE three bOB cROSBY ALBUMS??

Also need further info on the mention of Swing Music Conversations on
12-inch Eng Bruns, asto how many discs and was it an album.  Numbers?

Also the Parlophone British Arts Rhythm Style Series.  Was this another
Parlophone series of single discs or an album?

And as always, pictures of the albums needed.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com