[78-L] VJM article: British Jazz Albums of the 1930s and 1940s

Han Enderman jcenderman at solcon.nl
Thu Apr 8 07:32:20 PDT 2010

The correct title of this first HMV jazz  album is, as given on the labels:
Connoisseurs' Album of Hot Rhythm Music.
It contains 10 records, sides numbered 1-20.
HMV B-6286-91 = No.1-12; 93-94 = No.17-20 (based on label images).
and from Rust-6 and The Gramophone:
B-6292 Duke Steps Out / Cotton Club Stomp (= No.15/16).
B-4347 Waller: (No. 13) Handful of Keys (No. 14) Numb fumblin'.

There is some info in The Gramophone Dec 1932/Jan 1933.
I have copied the OCR text, which contains some misreadings (and thus you will not
find the December issue when searching for Connoisseurs):
---
Gram Dec 32 p.39:

"Victor "Hot" Records
New H.M. V. Issue scheme

H.M.V. are hoping to release immediately 20 selected hot

recordings (ten double-sided 10-in, discs) from the American Victor Catalogue.

These will not be included in the ordinary monthly supplements, but

made available, complete in an album, through a sp.'cial scheme to

be known as the H.M. V. ('onsoisseurs' Album of Hot Rhythmic Music.

Full particulars of the scheme are contained in a brochure which is

already obtainable from all H.M.V. record dealers.

Whether or not it will be possihl' to carry through the proposal

depends ontirely upon whether sufficient support is forthcoming to

make the production of the records a paying proposition.

Records by Hoa.gy Carmichael and His Orchestra, Jack Pettis and

His Pets, McKinney's Cotton Pickers, Jean Calloway's Orchestra,

The Washboard Serenaders and The Washboard Rhythm Kings,

Joe Venuti's Blue Four, Mills' Blue Rhythm Band, Phil Napoleon and

His Emperors, Fletcher Henderson and His Orchestra, and Duke

Ellington and His Orchestra are now being considered for inclusion,

and it appears certain that the work of all these, and possibly other

famous artistes, will be found in the album, in addition a number of

Fats Waller's piano solos.

All will realise that here is a fine opportunity to obtain a number of

unique American Hot records, which, otherwise, would he

unprocurable, except through the very expensive medium of ordering

them privately from the States, and it is to be hoped that all hot music

enthusiasts will whole-heartedly support H.M.V. 'a go-ahead

endeavour to provide them with what they have so often demanded,

but have hitherto been unable to enjoy."
---
Gram Jan 33:

"The H.M.V. Connoisseurs' Album of Hot Rhythmic Music.

H.m.v.,s offer, of which I gave the first intimation in these columns last

month, to make available through a subscription scheme an album of

twenty selected hot recordings from the American Victor Catalogue,

has met with such an unexpectedly speedy response that., although it

was not intended to commence distributing the records until about

February or March, actually they are already available. First

applicants should have received them by the time they are reading

this.
The Album is a wealth of interest and entertainment, and none the

less so because it offers such a variety of types of our hot music. It

contains :-
McKinney's Cotton Pickers (No. 1) Rocky Road (v) (No. 2) You're

Driving me Crazy (v) (No. 4) Crying and sighing (v)
Fletcher Henderson and His Orchestra (No. 3) I Wanna count sheep (v)
Jack Pettis and His Pets (No. 5) Bugle Call Blues
Hoagy Carmichael and His Orchestra (No. 6) Rochin' Chair (v)
Washboard Serenaders (No. 7) Kazoo Moan
Washboard Rhythm Boys (No. 8) Tiger Rag
Joe Venuti and His Blue Four (No. 9) Really Blue
Mills' Blue Rhythm Band (No. 10) He,ebie Jeebies (v)
Jean Calloway and Orchestra (No. 11) Sadie the Shaker (v)
Paul Howard and His Orchestra (No. 12) New kincla Blues (v)
Thomas "Fats " Waller (Piano Solos) (No. 13) Handful of Keys (No. 14) Numb fumblin'
Duke Ellington and His Orchestra (No. 15) The Duke steps out (No. 16) Cotton Club Stomp
(No. 17) It's a Glory (No. 18) Nine little miles from TenTen- Tennessee (v)
(No. 19) When a Black Man's Blue (v) (No. 20) High Life

I would like to have had a chat with you about each of the records, but

it is not possible in the space at my disposal this month and even if it

were, I want a few days to recover from having written a booklet of

some ten thousand words on the records which is to be included in

the Album. So perhaps next month.

There is still time for those who have not already applied for the

Album. The subscription list does not close for a few weeks yet, and

full particulars and subscription forms can be obtained from all

H.M.V. dealers.

Nevertheless, only a certain number of the records is to bs pressed,

and as there will never be another chance of obtaining what is in

many ways a unique collection, I advise all interested to get busy

immediately. I can assure them that it is worth it. The Album costs

30s. complete."

Han Enderman
===

Geoffrey Wheeler wrote:
> The Beiderbecke Memorial Album was released by Victor July 30, 1936, so
> it falls between the two Classic Swing albums (March and April 1936)
> and the Elizalde album released in December 1936.

I've asked Philip for a scan of the article.  I need numbers of the
British albums or at least the discs in them.  I have a great photo (via
Han) of the Ellington HMV (and do know these numbers, B 6351-56), and
can use photos of any of the other British albums if anybody has them.

>  Recordings for
> American Brunswick's "Blackbirds of 1928" album were made between
> December 1932 and the end of January 1933, so the recordings could not
> have been issued in Britain in 1932. In 1968, Columbia released an LP
> album entitled "Blackbirds of 1928" (OL-6770) as a 40th anniversary
> homage to the original 1928 show. The packaging and notes are first
> class and the music enjoyable.
Just wait till you see the American and British Blackbirds albums at my
ARSC presentation!  They are really something!!!  I just laid in the
photo series this morning along with that of the LP.  Miles Kreuger
showed me his copy of the American version back in 1967 that he used to
base the LP cover on.  I don't have the 78 album, but the photos are
great!  I think it is the  most handsome album of the 78 era.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com<<<