[78-L] had a good 78 day

Robert M. Bratcher Jr. bratcher at pdq.net
Wed Apr 7 19:45:23 PDT 2010

At 02:02 AM 4/7/2010, you wrote:
>Well, of course, Robert.  I brought them all home and will play all the ones
>I haven't heard or have forgotten I've heard.

I'd expect you to. Where do you live anyway? I'm in northwest Houston.

>   Just because they are common
>doesn't mean they aren't good.

I've found some very good "common" records in my listening days.

>   One of my all-time favorites is "Hot Time in
>the Town of Berlin" by Mr. Crosby and the Andrews Sisters.  And Mambo
>Italiano back to back with Papa Loves Mambo works for me, too.

Yes they are both very good recordings on 78 rpm.

>   And I'd make
>an argument for Sinatra on Capitol over Sinatra on Columbia but that might
>take a while to sort out.

I won't try to argue one label over the other as I like Sinatra on both.

>   Common to my mind simply means that there are a
>lot of copies out there.

Yes your exactly right.

>What I thought was unusual was that there was a higher percentage of smaller
>labels in this mix.   More Federals and Vee-Jays and Savoys and Kings and
>Goldbands and others than there were Columbias and Deccas and Victors.  It's
>usually the other way around by far.

That free record haul I had of 78's awhile back in one of the towns
south of Houston had more of the big labels & fewer of the smaller
labels in it but I didn't complain.