[78-L] had a good 78 day

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Wed Apr 7 19:43:35 PDT 2010

From: "Bill McClung" <bmcclung78 at gmail.com>
> What I thought was unusual was that there was a higher percentage of
> smaller
> labels in this mix.   More Federals and Vee-Jays and Savoys and Kings and
> Goldbands and others than there were Columbias and Deccas and Victors.
> It's
> usually the other way around by far.

xFrom the list you posted, it appeared the party who accumulated the discs
originally was collecting postwar blues records...?! It goes without saying
that virtually all of those were on "non-major" labels by then?! Columbia
did issue a lot of "Big Bill" (Broonzy) blues material before WWII (and, in
fact, reissued...or kept in their catalog...many Broonzy sides!); however,
the "blues hits" of the postwar period, like Jimmy Reed and such, were
all on "independent" labels! As well, there were very few rock'n'roll hits
on major labels other than Elvis on RCA...!

Steven C. Barr