[78-L] National Records

Geoffrey Wheeler dialjazz at verizon.net
Mon Apr 5 07:38:22 PDT 2010

Julian Vein comments: “I find Eckstine's singing tedious in the
extreme.”

You shoulda lived through it when his recordings were all over the
radio and his 78 book albums prominently displayed in record stores!
Two of my least favorite singers are Eckstine and Sarah Vaughn. I have
wondered over the years if Vaughn picked up here viral vibrato as a
result of singing with Eckstine or the two infected one another. From
the very beginning my only interest in the Eckstine band was and has
been certain of the instrumentals, sans Eckstine’s valve trombone.