[78-L] Lee Wiley jilts one guy to marry Jess Stacy

Geoffrey Wheeler dialjazz at verizon.net
Fri Apr 2 13:11:31 PDT 2010

Polystyrene versus vinyl. My main experience with LPs pressed in
polystyrene is Decca: I had several Decca LPs break like they were 78s.
I was dumbfounded! Where LPs are concerned, I can’t stand the look or
feel of the polystyrene and try to avoid Deccas of the mid- to late
1950s like the plague. Where plastic kits are concerned, polystyrene
accepts detail, which makes it an excellent molding material. As kits
became more sophisticated, modelers wanted and expected more detail. I
was given a tour several times of the Revell plant, including the mold
archive. There I saw hundreds of large, heavy, steel kit mold parts,
each equipped with hookups for the molding presses.  By the 1970s, the
general rule at Revell was to pull a kit once sales fell below 25,000
units. The beautiful thing about plastic model kits is they can be
recycled into infinity. It is estimated, that every five years or so
there is a whole new batch of modelers to reach with repackaged
product. Just like LPs and CDs.