[78-L] my first Monarch (Early Sleeves?)

Sean Miller smille1 at nycap.rr.com
Tue Mar 30 18:40:35 PDT 2010

This raises a question I've had for a long time now regarding "area
exclusivity".  Over the years, I've collected record dusters, sleeves and
record "bags" from Albany, NY dealers that carried Victor records and
machines.  In the early 1920s, there were at least four dealers that carried
Victor records and machines within two or three blocks of one another.  The
Strand Temple of Music on State Street "Albany's Biggest Victrola Retailer"
wasn't just a Victor dealer, they carried instruments, sheet music and the
like in what I believe was an enormous place, the building is still there
and it's quite a sight.  You also had Boardman and Gray down the street on
Broadway which carried Edison and Victor as well as their own line of
instruments.  Over on North Pearl Street, just up a block or two you had
McClure and Dorwaldt "Home of the Ampico" at 64 and at 101 North Pearl there
was the Thomas Music Store which carried "Pianos, Victrolas and everything
musical".  Somehow I don't think Victor cared how many dealers they had in
any given area as long as the dealers themselves continued to buy and carry
their product.

Anyone else have examples like this?  I realize that at least three of these
businesses didn't only rely on selling phonographs and records, but I've
always been curious!

Sean