[78-L] my first Monarch (Early Sleeves?)

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Tue Mar 30 17:54:48 PDT 2010

neechevoneeznayou at gmail.com wrote:
> So if I understand the bidness model, in those early days, would
> Columbia and Victor records be sold in the same store? Or only thru an
> authorized outlet, along with the machines to play them on, without the
> disadvantage of competition?
>
> joe salerno

All of the above.  The major labels, Victor, Columbia, and Edison, sold
thru franchised dealers which also sold the phonographs.  Not allof the
franchises were exclusive, meaning some of the stores could possibly be
franchised by two of the labels.  Some of the stores had area
exclusivity and others might have a competitor across town.  All this
was governed by price controls so customers would be greeted by the same
prices in each store.  These controls and franchise agreements started
to break down as the patents expired in the late teens, but Victor
started screwing up price controls when they let dealers sell off single
sided Red Seals cheap when they were doubled, and then selling off the
regular acoustical players when the Orthophonnic was about to be released.
> Steven C. Barr wrote:

While this is true, it doesn't answer what happened before around 1906
when we know that printed sleeves exist, because every printed outer bag
that is known, comes from the post 1906 era.  The question also is how
did stores package ANYTHING that you have purchased in those days??  I
see quaint early movie scenes where people are carrying string-tied
bundles.  It could be that even record stores had large rolls of paper
and they would fold the paper around the purchases and tie them in
string.  Perhaps they didn't use pre-made paper bags that early at all.

And that is how they were still selling records in Russia when I was
there in the 1990s!  You made your selection and waited on line for the
clerk who would add up the total on a slip of paper which you would take
to another line to the cash register where you would give them the slip
and the cash, they would then put a checkmark on the slip, give it to
you with your change, and then you would go beck to the line by the
clerk where you would give them the slip back and get a package with the
records wrapped in paper tied with twine.  All Soviets and Russians
carry empty plastic, cloth, or mesh shopping bags with them.  If you
don't have a bag with you, you buy them from street vendors.  (And in
1995 at least, a lot of those bags had large pictures of nude women on
them.  I thought it was neat to see ten year old kids carrying those bags.)

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com