[78-L] my first Monarch (Early Sleeves?)

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sun Mar 28 11:30:45 PDT 2010

My album cover presentation is including a show of early sleeves because
Steinweiss and his unknowledgable supporters have written that records
came in plain unadorned sleeves before Steinweiss. While that might be
true before 1906, it is not completely true afterwards.  Iit is
interesting that this discussion again come up on the list just as I am
starting the sleeve photography today from my collection.

The stitched-sided dealer sleeves aand most other dealer sleeves are
strictly European.  I draw mainly a blank on any type of American sleeve
before 1906 -- printed or unprinted.  The Tomango and Patti cardboard
sleeves with a picture behind the plastic covered label hole are
landmarks, but Columgia also had special sleeves in 06 for the Marconi
VelverTone discs, and had beautiful art sleeves, some with very extended
and dated patent notices.

I think the reason Victor and Columbia both started doing sleeves -- and
why we do not see dealer sleeves in the U.S. -- is because of the patent
notices.  I've seen a notation that the dealers were instructed that the
records MUST be delivered to the customer in the company printed sleeves
with the patent notices, especially when the two-sided records no longer
had a blank side for the patent notice we see on Victor records between
1904 and 1908.  Michael Corenthal's "Illustrated History of Recorded
Sound Vol 2" pictures two sleeves, one from Larry Holdridge and the
other from Larry Schlick, with extensive lists of Victor Records on the
holeless back side.  LH's sleeve is titled "New Victor Records for
December 1907" and pictures Victor accessories on the front including
horn bags and machine carrying cases.  LS's sleeve is titled "175 Best
Selling 10 inch Victor Records: 10-inch Records, 60 cents each".  The
photos aren't distinct enough to make out titles, bit one record has a 2
digit catalog number, about ten have three digits, and the rest are all
four digits.

I urge ALL of you to get both of Corenthal's Iconography books NOW -- he
has stopped supplying them but Kurt might have copies. They aren't
perfect - because he was not a real researcher, just a collector and
dealer, and the black and white reproduction of what were color original
photos is not dark enough -  but you will love seeing the stuff he
shows.  Kurt still has inexpensive copies of the Columbia label book
Note the Naucks, er Nauck the Notes, er, you know what I mean, and you
all must have it.  ALL of the questions about Victor, Monarch, DeLuxe,
and DeLuxe Special labels would have been answered if you had a copy of
Mike Sherman's Victor label books, but if you go to Kirt's site and look
at the label galleries you will see a selection of early Victor and
Columbia labels that will help you answer some of the questions that
came up in this thread.  There also is info on the Victor Project web
site.  (My DSL died during the typing of this and I can't double check
this, and I want to get this out as soon as the connection returns!)

And I DO want to get pictures that some of you might have of pre-1910
sleeves, especially U.S. but also European.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com