[78-L] my first Monarch (Early Sleeves?)

Alexandre Benoit pathe90rpm at yahoo.fr
Sun Mar 28 09:16:48 PDT 2010

Some 20 years ago I saw a nice lot of some twenty 7inch etched label Berliners in their
original sleeves at a dealer's shop in Paris. I did not buy the discs, because they were by
the Garde Republicaine and therefore of no interest to me.

The sleeves looked definately contemporary to the records. They were glued (not stiched!),
had no centre hole, but they had a flap! There was no print on them, but someone had
neatly written in calligraphy 'Garde Republicaine' and the corresponding title with ink.
Otherwise I may have bought the records only for their sleeves, to use them on other discs.

I do have very similar early 7 inch sleeves: glossy tan coloured paper like the ones I had
seen, and a small centre hole. These must have been for the later Gramophone Records
with printed labels.

Otherwise, I have slightly later sleeves for one-sided ten inch discs for a number of labels
like Zonophone, Disque pour Gramophone, Odeon Talking Machine Int'l, Victor  etc.
Usually these have only the name of the company printed around the centre hole or on
one side of the sleeve. These sleeves have a hole on one side only, of course.

On Ebay Germany several original Gramophone Co. seven inch albums for 10 discs were
recently sold at about $200 each:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150392040456
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150392040454
(there were 3 more, but they are not viewable anymore)

Alex